These chakras have their own functions. However they are all interdependent on each other to maintain a physical and mental balance in the body. It is possible to stimulate each of these chakras using the help of various gems, pure tones and by concentrating on particular colors.
1. Root chakra is the first chakra located the base of the spine. This is the chakra that creates a grounding force in the body. So if you feel like you are spacing off, it means that your root chakra is imbalanced.
As the root chakra is associated with red color, concentrating on anything red helps regain balance. The root chakra controls some parts of the lower body like legs, feet, kidneys and immune system while your sense of self esteem, loyalty and survival instincts are centered here.
2. The second chakra is the sacral chakra located around the lower abdomen towards the navel. This is the chakra controlling the upper intestine, stomach, liver, sexual organs, pancreas and adrenal glands.
It also controls honoring of relationships and creativity in the body. Control issues, back pain and fertility problems are signs of imbalance of this chakra that can be helped with the focus on orange or red-orange objects.
3. The solar plexus chakra is located around the solar plexus and controls your ego along with the liver, middle spine, gallbladder, spleen, kidney, stomach, small intestines and the upper abdomen.
Its imbalance leads to self-esteem issues like sensitivity to criticism, fear of rejection, indecisiveness in life and eating problems. Balance can be regained by concentrating on yellow color.
4. The fourth chakra is the heart chakra found in the center of chest and controls your love, compassion, trust and forgiveness. Those with a healthy heart chakra are generous and loving while those with a wounded one become jealous, harbor feelings of hatred and fear and suffer from heart and lungs disease. This chakra can be balanced using the colors pink and green.
5. The throat chakra is linked with honesty and decision making. It is located in the throat and controls the voice and throat. This balanced chakra helps in preventing tooth, throat and gum diseases and is associated with the color blue.
6. The brow or third eye chakra is associated with wisdom and perspective and is called the third eye as it is located in between the eyebrows. This chakra controls the brain and nervous system and when balanced, one tends to make good judgments and detachment most of the time.
Imbalance in the chakra makes one delusive, retreat into a fantasy world and suffer learning problems and spinal dysfunction. The chakra is related to the color indigo.
7. The seventh chakra is the crown chakra, located on the top of the head and controls spirituality in the body. It is through this chakra that universal energy reaches the other chakras. And a well balanced crown chakra makes you well connected to the universe. This chakra is associated with white and violet colors.